This statement applies to user interactions with the Election Costings site.
The site makes some use of data that directly or indirectly identifies users. We do not use any personal information for any purpose which is not related to the services we provide to you via this site. We take great care with practices that affect personal privacy. Department of Finance & Treasury staff welcome feedback from their users in relation to the site’s design and practices, and to this Privacy Statement.
Data that in some way identifies the user is gathered during interactions with the Election Costings web-site in the following circumstances:
- It is a necessary part of visiting any web-site, that the user’s web-browser provides the machine’s identity (its IP-address) to the web-server, so that the server can address the reply to the correct machine. In addition, the browser-type and operating system are provided.
Navigation and Click-Stream Data
- Browsing any web-site, generates a trail of the pages that are visited, and the time apparently spent displaying each page. We use anonymous temporary cookies to better analyse user navigation trends and to provide additional information to our web analysis software. These cookies can be blocked without impacting your interaction with the Election Costings website.
Data Storage, Use and Disclosure, and Retention
All personal data described in the preceding section is stored securely, and archived for a period of at least 12 months and possibly up to 7 years.
The data is used by Election Costings site software, and by staff involved in the management of the Election Costings site, only for:
- web-site and system administration,including monitoring to prevent security breaches;
- customisation of the web-site to the user’s needs; and
- evaluation, research and development.
Identified data can only be re-disclosed to the user if the user provides the unique request session number. Identified data may be disclosed to a third party only in circumstances in which it is legally authorised, such as in the investigation of a criminal offence, and in compliance with a search warrant or subpoena.
The staff who operate the Election Costings site, and most Commonwealth government agencies, are subject to the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.